Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas Man

Ay, tis the season of gifts and giving again. Usually, I get into the Christmas mood by popping my all time favourite Christmas CD (A Christmas Story by Point of Grace) into the player. But this year, it's already 19 Dec and its quiet in my home. No Christmas songs. Just no mood la.

Anyway, we were surprised to hear carols just now after dinner. Turned out, the neighbour across the street had a bunch of carollers over. They are catholic, so quite a number of the carollers were dressed in red and had Santa caps on. There was of course, a Santa. Aidan and Sean were excited but we couldn't see much from our house. When the carollers were leaving, Sean and Aidan were watching from my front door and Aidan sadly remarked, "Mummy, the Christmas Man is leaving!" He meant Santa Claus. I didn't correct him cos I didn't want to get into who's Santa Claus. Not tonight anyway. I prefer my kids to know that Christmas is really about Jesus.

The carollers reminded me of some of the best times I had as a teen. I was in Evangelical Free Church then. Each year, we'd pack into a school bus and go from house to house singing carols. We'd do this for two nights at least. We'd be laughing and singing in the bus and enjoy the cool, windy night. We'd always be so full from all the goodies at each home that it's sometimes hard to sing. I remember, one house we went to, the host, a doctor handed out lozenges to everyone! haha!

Yup, those were really good times. Doing two of the things I love most - hanging out with friends and singing.

1 comment:

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Hi Liz,
Read your article. Well, don't be so down,dearie! Sean & Aidan looks forward to you each day.That's important. You are their mom & an inspiration to them. As for Jason, you are probably his inspiration and THE lady holding the whip to the two tornadoes,man!Ha...ha....
Seriously, Christmas means a lot to the children and for your spouse. I know because I've been thru it. It is not about gifts and merry making ~ It is about the celebration of the heart! You can be poor materially but you can still celebrate Christmas with the beauty and grace of your heart. A small cake, some cookies, a glass of warm milk and a great time with kids & spouse ~ sounds like Christmas to me! Be blessed!~