Thursday, July 19, 2007

I'm a TRAINER

Yup, I'm a Trainer. For Microsoft. Haha...sounds so canggih, huh?

After a 3 year hiatus, I went back to work. Part-time. God blessed me with this job as a Trainer for the Microsoft Unlimited Potential Program. It's a Community Outreach program where Microsoft gives grants to NGOs and works with them to open CTCs (Community Technology Centres. Basically a venue with PCs la) so that the underserved can come and get PC lessons at really affordable prices.

One of those NGOs is YWCA Malaysia. So, I'm hired by YWCA Melaka to teach IT lessons and to run the program for them (Trainer is the label given by Microsoft. Just means IT Teacher la.)

What's great about this job is that I get to set the timetable and each course is about a month long only. This is really an answer to prayer cos I can't work 9-5 what with caring for Sean & Aidan.

I started last month and have taught 2 classes of Computer Fundamentals (Basic Word, Excel and Internet) to housewives and Senior Citizens (we take in anyone above 17 years of age). I was really nervous having never taught before, much less IT lessons and to adults! But it went well. I made mistakes along the way but I've been reassured by my "bosses" that it's normal and to learn from it and improve.

Now, I'm looking for the next batch of students. I get paid each time I finish teaching a class. So, have to work hard at bringing in students.

Amongst the housewives I taught were 8 Malay ladies. You can imagine the difficulty of teaching IT in English and BM but I managed rather well....campur aduk la. Not Dewan Pustaka kinda BM but hey, they understood me, that's all that matters.

During the lesson on using a search engine, I saw one of them searching for recipes. She found one Asam Pedas recipe and was copying it to her exercise book. I teased her about it, said that I like Asam Pedas and if she wants to continue copying recipes, she must cook some Asam Pedas for me. Lo and behold, she did just that! And that day, my mum cooked Asam Pedas as well. Double whammy!

Quite a number of the students were first time PC users. I had to be really patient as they struggled with the mouse, opening a file/folder, double clicking, right click, etc. Things I took forgranted having used the PC for many years.

I'm really glad I got this job. It feels good to get out of the house and do something on my own. Juggling the kids and this job hasn't been easy but my mum & hubby have been overwhelmingly helpful & supportive. Can't do it without them.

I'll blog more about my job later and maybe add photos too.

p.s. YWCA - Young Women's Christian Association

No comments: